October 31, 2011 The Man of Style’s Top 10 Collections: Fall 2011
For my last post on the best of fall 2011 fashion, on the last day of October…Happy Halloween…here are my picks for the top 10 collections of the season! Drum roll please…
1. Stella McCartney: For her play on proportion, her super sexy dresses, and her chic modernism.
A McCartney velvet dress with Tom Ford scorpion necklace. www.stellamccartney.com
2. Tom Ford: For his love of dressing women and devotion to creating looks that combine femininity with sensuality.
Lady Gaga has been seen in at least 3 Ford looks over the past months. It’s refreshing to see her dressing more ladylike.
Only Mr. Ford could combine metallic lace with a violet fur coat so chicly. www.tomford.com
3. Alexander McQueen: For Sarah Burton’s fearlessness in keeping the memory of the late Lee McQueen alive, while bringing her own uniquely feminine vision to the table.
The zipper detail on this look is so amazing!
The bodice and shoes on this exuberant dress are made from pieces of porcelain that have been engineered.
The first ad campaign in quite sometime is as ethereal as the fashion. www.alexandermcqueen.com
4. Celine: For Phoebe Philo’s modern eye and mix of materials. She uses leather in the most amazing ways as dresses, tops, etc. and her accessories are some of the most coveted.
Love the faux bois looks conceived in the most modern-cut shapes.
The essential fall layers: the white turtleneck, some fur, and some leather.
She makes leather flow like silk! www.celine.com
5. Dries van Noten: For his magical use of prints and effortless mix. www.driesvannoten.com
6. Preen: For being a new favorite of the season, and having a start to finish show of completely modern and wearable looks, from pants to dresses.
7. Aquilano.Rimondi: For creating super chic looks reminiscent of the past (slightly 20′s meets 60′s) that Jackie Kennedy would wear in her day, and that modern-day fashionistas should fill their closets with.
8. Alexander Wang: For being the fashion darling of the moment, but not letting that get the best of him. He has kept us interested every season! No one-hit wonder here. www.alexanderwang.com
My absolute favorite accessory of the entire season, the heeled loafer, in the prettiest metallics like copper.
9. Givenchy: For Ricardo Tisci’s wild side he brings to the legendary house, with cat (well panther) accents, orchid prints, and pin-up references. Lots of sheer fabrics and luxe velvet as well, both very big for the season. www.givenchy.com
10. Lanvin: For Alber Elbaz’s consistency and surprises. I don’t recall him using lace before, for instance, but he took that key fall trend and made it completely his own in a few looks.
Polka dots used widely at the likes of Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney, were more subtle at Lanvin.
The show ended with a Technicolor treat of pretty dresses. Lanvin also has the most drool-worthy jewelry and accessories of any other label. www.lanvin.com
-Marc Jacobs/Louis Vuitton